Fruitful reveries, fashion, reconstruction, and home diy blog
I picked up this dress at the thrift store by my house. It fit well through the bust area, but it was way too long for my taste. I decided to raise the skirt by cutting 21″ from the bottom hem.
I also went ahead and cut the shoulders off of the top.
Turned the facing and outer fabric inside out and sewed a slightly curved line for the front of the bodice, and a straight line across the back, making sure not to sew through the zipper.
I trimmed it about half an inch and sewed the facing to the seam edge.
Here’s what the bottom part of the zipper looked like before attaching the skirt.
Since I raised the skirt, the circumference of the bodice and the skirt were no longer the same. I matched the seams and pleated the skirt where the princess seams met on front and back. I also added bands of elastic on either side of the zipper in the back to help keep the dress from falling off.
I’m thinking about buying a tripod this weekend, so hopefully I’ll be able to throw in better “action” shots for you all!